American Bridge Company
Job Title: Help Desk Technician--Fall 2017 Internship
Department: Information Technology
Reports To: Manager of Information Technology
· This position troubleshoots and resolves issues with hardware, software, networking, and other computer-related technologies. This is a temporary internship assignment for a minimum of 3 months with an opportunity to be extended and/or potential for full-time employment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
·Provides technical assistance and support for incoming telephone, voice mail, e-mail, and in-person requests from employees experiencing problems with hardware, software, networking, and other computer-related technologies.
· Interviews user to collect information about problem and leads user through diagnostic procedures to determine source of error.
· Maintains help desk ticketing system.
· Determines whether problem is caused by hardware such as, printer, cables, or telephone.
· Handles problem recognition, research, isolation, resolution and follow-up for routine user problems, referring more complex problems to supervisor or technical staff.
· Logs and tracks calls using problem management database, and maintains history records and related problem documentation.
· Prepares standard statistical reports, such as help desk incident reports.
· Analyzes and evaluates incident reports and makes recommendations to reduce help line incident rate.
· Consults with programmers to explain software errors or to recommend changes to programs.
· Calls software and hardware vendors to request service regarding defective products.
· Tests software and hardware to evaluate ease of use and whether product will aid user in performing work.
· Writes software and hardware evaluation and recommendation for management review.
· Writes or revises user training manuals and procedures.
· Develops training materials such as exercises and visual displays.
· Trains users on software and hardware on-site or in classroom, or recommends outside contractors to provide training.
· Installs, cleans, and reassigns personal computers, software, and peripheral equipment.
· Maintains hardware and software inventory.
· Supports corporate safety initiatives in a company with a strong safety culture. Additionally, this individual will work safely and keep safety incidents to a minimum.
· Any and all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Other Skills and Abilities
· Must be able to legally work in the United States.
· Must be willing to work in a drug-free environment and agree to a post offer drug test.
· Must be willing to work safely and keep OSHA recordable incidents to a minimum.
· Good verbal and written communication skills; i.e. good customer relation skills.
· Travel - up to 10% on an as needed or proactive basis.
· Must be detail oriented.
· Must be able to learn and support new and fast-changing technologies.
· Must demonstrate good work habits under pressure.
· Familiarity with a wide range of standard office automation products is a must.
Education and/or Experience
Associates degree or Certificate in Information Technology or Computer Technology and 1-5 years experience in a Helpdesk capacity or equivalent combination of education and experience. The position requires a high aptitude for hardware, software, and network troubleshooting.
Good interpersonal skills to deal with employees who may have little technical knowledge and may be inconvenienced and frustrated by their computer problems. Must have good follow up skills and be able to read, analyze, and interpret technical writing via published training manuals, I.T. reference material, etc. Ability to send business appropriate emails, write reports, business correspondence, and design procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as algebra, math concepts and logic necessary for coding, Math related to business acumen skills, computer automation projects and logic. The ability to understand higher level math and how it relates to computer formulas is necessary. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Good analytical and problem solving skills are essential on the help desk. Technicians handle support requests by telephone or e-mail. They discuss issues with users and ask a logical sequence of questions to diagnose the problem and offer a solution. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Help desk technicians must be able to use support tools to speed up problem-solving and improve their own productivity. Remote diagnostic tools enable them to access a user’s computer to test its performance and acquire data for analyzing the problem. They must also be able to use a support database, which contains information on previous support issues and solutions. The database provides valuable information that can speed up the resolution of common support requests and free time for dealing with more complex problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Windows XP, 7, 8; Office 2007, 2010, and 2013 . Should be highly knowledgeable with computer software, hardware, networks, Smart phones and other computer-related technology.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Current driver's license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. This individuals need to use a keyboard to enter and retrieve data. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Individual will need to have the ability to view computer monitors and phones with clarity.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking for up to 20% of the time. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc.
American Bridge Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and employment selection is based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. American Bridge does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, Veteran status or any other characteristics.