Job Title: Estimator
Business Unit: Northeast Regional Office--Ft. Lee, NJ
Reports To: Chief Estimator
FLSA Status: Exempt
Revision Date: March 25, 2017
The Estimator is responsible for preparing estimates from start of bidding process through bid close-out. Duties include: Specification Review, Drawing Review, Coordination and assistance in quantity take-off, Means and Method Planning, Scheduling, Pricing all direct and indirect job costs, Soliciting and Scoping subcontractors and suppliers, and close-out of the bid. The Estimator will manage all aspects of estimates involving projects and joint ventures. The ideal candidate will have a focus on Concrete bridge construction, Excavation/Support of Excavation, Roadway/Site work, Foundations and Piling/Drilled Shafts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Responsible for cash flow, buy/sell of equipment, develop risk register and proposal writing
· Must have the ability to translate conceptual design, project drawings, CPM schedule, and technical specifications of a bridge, marine, or complex construction projects in to full-scope cost estimates with accurate cost forecasting.
· Recommends to Chief Estimator if a project bid should be submitted and pursued. When a project is selected to bid, must oversee the estimating process to ensure that a competitive, profitable bid is submitted on behalf of the organization.
· Utilizes existing cost history, estimating software (HCSS, Blue Beam, P6, AutoCAD, etc.), and other resources to perform the company estimating function.
· Analyzes alternative solutions and construction methods to increase competitiveness of bids.
· Possesses thorough knowledge of company procedures, estimating techniques, engineering means and methods, materials, construction techniques, and services.
· Leads teams to develop initial project plans and project execution schedules.
· Establishes and maintains relationships with joint venture partners, consultants, subs, and suppliers.
· Reviews project cost reports, estimating systems, and procedures.
· Establishes various union district rate files for labor, equipment, and materials.
· Conducts post bid reviews.
· Travels to project sites to assess progress of various company-wide projects, attend project meetings, and perform site investigations as needed.
· Establishes key performance indicators for company-wide estimating function.
· Ensures close cooperation and support to the business units with a high level of collaboration.
· Supports corporate safety initiatives in a company with a strong safety culture. Additionally, works safely and keep safety incidents to a minimum.
· Any and all other duties as assigned by the Chief Estimator.
Other Skills and Abilities
· 5-8 years’ progressive combined construction project management and estimating experience on bridge, structure, and/or heavy highway projects.
· 1-2 years as an Estimator the heavy civil industry. Experience through the entire project life cycle, from estimate to project closeout.
· Proven success in winning profitable large heavy civil construction projects (over $50 million).
· Demonstrated construction leader within the industry, having served in various roles within industry related associations.
· Demonstrated leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills are a must.
· Must be willing to travel as needed to successfully perform the duties of the position.
· Individual must be trustworthy with proprietary and confidential information.
· High energy level and the ability to inspire and motivate a team.
· Understands and abides by all government processes and regulations.
Has management responsibilities of proposal/document coordinators within the company.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering from four-year college or university; and 3-5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. A Master of Business Administration (MBA), and/or a Master’s Degree in Engineering is preferred, but not required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, technical business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to high level questions from groups of executives, managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations; listens and gains clarity from others; responds well to questions.
Must have strong business and financial acumen. Should have a strong understanding of engineering calculations, percent complete accounting, cash flow, financial formulas to gauge the health of the organization, etc.
Must have the ability to make sound decision and demonstrate strong intellectual capabilities. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of database systems, internet software; advanced knowledge of Excel including use of formulas, Word, and PowerPoint Software, and other computer-related concepts.
Candidates must have experience with software used in the Estimating process to include HCSS, Blue Beam, P6 Scheduling and AutoCad. Experience with AgTec or equivalent software for dirt takeoff would be a plus.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
P.E. licensure in the United States preferred, but not required
Current driver's license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment is mostly in an office environment, however, this individual will travel to project sites frequently. The office work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking for up to 20% of the time. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. While visiting job sites, the individual is regularly exposed to work near moving mechanical parts and outdoor weather conditions. Additionally, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. Finally, the individual will be exposed to significant heights and limited walkways, which will require the use of a fall arrest system. The noise level at project construction sites are usually loud.
While traveling to project sites, the individual will be exposed to typical vehicle and airplane hazards experienced by common commuters and travelers.
American Bridge Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and employment selection is based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. American Bridge does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, Veteran status, or any other characteristics.